I came across an excellent open-source tool that is able to generate detailed information about a system. You can document everything like BIOS information, OS Product Key, installed programs and even installed Windows update patches.
As always, best way to know if it’s true is to try it.
- Download SYDI (Script Your Documentation Instantly).
- Extract the zip file.
- Launch Command Prompt.
- Change directory to the extract folder.
- Generate the documentation specifying the file path of the output file.
cscript sydi-server.vbs -oC:\Matthew-PC.doc
The lack of space between the o parameter and the file path is intentional
- You can leave it as ‘.’ for generating your own machine’s details or you can enter an IP address of your server in the same domain if you like.
- You can find the generated documentation in the file path you specified in step 5.
Well, that’s basically it. You may find that the information generated by the tool overwhelming. Personally, I’ll just delete anything that I don’t need.
If you want, you can enter the following help command to see how to customize the generation:
cscript sydi-server.vbs -h